Monday, October 6, 2008

The Adventures of Bra Shopping

For those of you under a C-cup, this might not make sense for you.

I have been on a journey for some new bras for the last two weeks. My last major shopping experience was when I was working full-time and not a student. I could easily spend up to $150 (3 to 5) just on bras, not including the matching panties. But on a full-time student budget of an independent contractor, one must really rethink this spending. So, I have gone to many stores, but let's first review the rules before I discuss my finds.

There are definite rules to be followed when you are a 40 DD.
  • It must defy gravity
  • It must provide full coverage.
  • It must be able to be worn more than 6 hours without excruciating pain.

Other rules that quickly get thrown to the wayside.

  • Would prefer color.
  • Would prefer matching panties.

Ashley Stewart has Jill Scott's Butterfly Bra is absolutely beautiful. The problem with it for me is that it cost $39 for the strapless version and $44 for regular. It only comes in the icon plus-size bra colors: black, mocha (read tan) and white. Would it be too much to ask for a turquoise or purple?

Then there is the always reliable Lane Bryant. They have had their own lingerie label for years called Cacique. This is definitely were most of bra shopping sprees have taken place. They have beautiful colors. So what is the problem? I don't have $30 to $70 (that's right the most expensive one is $70) to spend on a bra. The two that I can say that I am coveting are the Microfiber Mesh Balconette and the Lace overlay French Balconette. They are both padded, which I like, it gives a little more definition. I have an ex that says that is unfair for me to wear padded bras, but I like them. The Microfiber Mesh cost between $36 to $42. It comes in 3 colors and has a matching panty.


The Lace Overlay is just sexy. It would not be an everday one, but it would be nice to have. It cost $36. It only comes in that one color, but wow. It doesn't have a matching panty, but who cares.

So after finding such beautiful bras where did I go: Walmart. They have this bra by Secret Treasures that cost $8.88. First, I love that price, but will it work. I brought one and gave it the date test. You know the test where you want your breast to be in its optimal placement to get the eye of that guy. Well, it passed the test. It was comfortable. I didn't have to do adjustments halfway during the date. It stayed in place. The only drawback is that it only comes in black and white and no matching panties.

So, when you are out on your bra journey, you might want to give Walmart a look. This is just one of my shopping adventures. I don't even want to think about what I have gone through to find jeans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your post. You write about some interesting things. I sorta glad I dont have issues with finding a bra. Good luck on your search.

Alease Michelle
www.aleasemichelle.typepad.com